Williams and Blum Podcast
A blog and podcast on the Iowa State Cyclones and so much more.
Blum's Twitter Cyclones.com CF ESPN Williams Twitter Rivals.com

A Run in with Mamadou


As some of you know, I'm living in Orlando working in the radio department for the Magic. I'm not one who is usually starstruck and talking to NBA players isn't any different than interviewing one of your local HS kids. It may sound crazy to say but NBA players are actually quite normal (minus Eddy Curry and his limo driving escapades, or Stephon Marbury, Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, Ok...there are some quacks, but most are normal.)

Anyway, our office is literally twenty steps from the practice court. The team is away on a week long road trip, so they open up the court for the staff to play as a mini perk for working for the team. Occasionally, I will go over there, if for any other reason to avoid doing anything work related. Normally, it's your classic pick up games and depending on who's around the competition can be pretty decent...think high level ISU intramurals.

But, today was an exception. We're warming up on the court when a long, lanky Senegalese man walks in. I'm struck by his height...at least seven feet tall. I got to thinking, I know this guy. So, I rack my brain trying to come up with his name. And it hits me.

This guy played against Iowa State. I've seen him before. The large man was none other than Mamadou N'Diaye, former NBA player and Auburn Tiger.

He played the Cyclones in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 2000 at the Metrodome. A game ISU won 79-60. Look at the box score here.

I got the nerve to ask him if he indeed was Mamadou N'Diaye and he nodded politely. I mustered back, "Cool, I remember when you played at Auburn." He nodded again. Not a real talkative fellow.

Long story short, he hopped around the NBA for a while after being drafted in Fizer's draft class (#26 by the Nuggets), went overseas and blew out his knee and is now rehabbing in Orlando and is friends with one of the guys that works for the Magic.

He played in the pick up game and it was rather uneventful, he didn't move as quickly as he used to- 33 years old and a reconstructed knee will do that. But, I said to myself, "I at least have to get a shot rejected by Mamadou." And so trailing by a few points I attacked the rim, tried my patented Steve Nash floater and Mamadou's big right hand sent it off the wall. I felt, if only for a moment, like Jamaal Tinsley, taking it in on Mamadou.
0 comments:

Post a Comment